The VistaCruise is an aftermarket throttle lock, allowing the driver to free up the right hand from time to time. It’s a big help on long hauls when your palm becomes compressed or pinched from squeezing the grip for so long, when your hand is sweaty, or you just want to rest your throttle hand for a minute. It also helps in the winter when you need to switch hand you’re sitting on from time to time to thaw it out 🙂 .
Above is a good shot of the completed installation of the modified VistaCruise. You’ll see the black collar on the grip, the little chrome strap is the friction ring, the thumb latch that is used to lock the throttle, a black bar that reaches across the control head (where the kill switch is located), and the 1″ handlebar clamp located between the mirror bracket and control head. The VistaCruise is just above the starter button, so that’s no interference there.
The VistaCruise is designed to work with stock grips, or those with a straight (non-contoured) grip body. I recently installed a set of Kuryakin IsoGrips and found that the VistaCruise wouldn’t work with them. The IsoGrips have rubber pads along their length, and they have a flared flange on the end where the VistaCruise collar would normally be installed.
The basic installation instructions that come with the VistaCruise are usable, with the exception of modifications to these items:
- The black collar that slips over the grips: Orient it so that the edge with the setscrews is facing the end of the handlebar (opposite from the usual installation direction, I think). Back the set screws out so that they are not exposed inside of the collar. Using a dremel tool with the little drum sander attachment, bevel the inner diameter of the collar on the side that will be next to the control head (opposite the edge where the setscrews are located). Remove enough material so that it will easily slip over the flared portion of the grip and up against the control head.
- Using an exacto knife, cut the thin rubber insert to about half it’s thickness (not width!).This is inserted inside of the collar AFTER the collar is slipped over the grip in the next step below. The supplied rubber insert is too thick to be installed between the collar and the Kuryakin IsoGrips.
- Slip the collar over the grip without the rubber insert in place, and insert the rubber after the ring is pressed all the way against the control head. Run the set screws in until they are flush with the outside surface of the collar.
- Install the 1″ handlebar clamp between the mirror and control head (you’ll have to loosen the mirror mount and slip it up the bars a little). Cut 1/8″ of length from the end of the black bar that connects between the handlebar clamp and the chrome friction ring/thumb lever assembly.
- Complete assembly and adjust the rest per the supplied instructions. It looks cool, doesn’t detract much from the looks of the grips, and works great.
Here is a shot from in front of the scoot, looking at the black throttle grip collar and chrome friction ring. You’ll also notice the black 1″ handlebar clamp installed between the mirror and the control head. You can see this neat little accessory at the Scootworks website on their Miscellaneous Parts Page at http://www.scootworks.com/swcart/shop/partsmisc.htm .